The very best career advice I could ever give you.

The very best career advice I could ever give you.

I have a bitter pill for you to swallow. But trust me, it’s true.

Nobody anywhere, (apart maybe from your Mum), cares about your career.

Not really.

If you work for a great company, they will create an environment in which you can thrive. Opportunities will arise, and the company may even actively facilitate those opportunities. But!

Success in your recruitment career will never be just a matter of qualifications or skills. It will always be a matter of motivation.

Apart from you, no one else is having sleepless nights about your recruitment career.

You have to get off your butt and take charge of your own future.

You don’t outsource your career.

What happens to you at work is 90% because of what you do at work.

Or what you do not do.

Don’t leave your career in the hands of someone else.

Find a company that supports you. Definitely. But you have to drive it.

Are you doing that now?

**********************************************************************************************************

, , ,

7 Responses to The very best career advice I could ever give you.

1. Rebecca March 21, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Greg, I think that might be the saddest thing I have ever read! (Ok, maybe not THE saddest) but certainly makes me squirm. I’m a Recruitment Director (Training) and you know what? I care! There, I said it. I care about everyone in my company, & their career. I do go home thinking about them, how I can make them better versions of themselves. Yes I’m exhausted but I know my colleagues appreciate it. Now, in fact they may not actually care as much as me! But I spend a lot of time thinking about their careers. I support them. I support them when they stay but I also support them if they leave. My point is, that yes it’s down to the individual but I will also be there with ‘you’ to get the best out of ‘you’.

• Greg Savage March 21, 2017 at 7:05 pm #

Thanks Rebecca…I am sure you do care, and so do most good leaders, so of course my blog was not universally “true”. Personally my greatest satisfaction in life is the career of people I may have assisted along the way

So in that regards you are of course, right

But perhaps you have picked up on the wrong angle here. This is not about leadership. It’s really designed to give everyone pause for thought about how much our own decisions, our own actions, or lack of them.. impact our career

Passively waiting for your career to ‘evolve” is not a wise path..I am sure you will agree.

And of course its also true that when someone leaves your company Rebecca, for the most part you stop thinking about their career, and when you move on yourself, you won’t be concerning yourself greatly with the careers of people you leave behind.. that is the reality.. and thats my point.. don’t leave your career totally in the hands of even someone as caring and dedicated as you.. its ultimately not your job..its ours!

Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to contribute

regards

Greg

2. andrew brindley March 21, 2017 at 8:14 pm #

I totally agree Greg our biggest challenge is to get the people in our business to see it’s them that gets things going. No one else can do that work for you, its something you have to do, you can learn on the way from many sources but its you who has to put the work in.

I have a belief in creating an environment of self-development where it is up to the individual to learn new things and hone their talents. We train them and give loads of encouragement of course and that’s a blend of desk coaching, video courses, reading material and face to face courses.

All of which is great, but there is nothing like the person who comes into work and says I found this over the weekend and says I want to share it with the team, one because they are self-motivated and take an interest in their own development and secondary they then want to share that with the team.

I liken it to keeping fit you cannot delegate your run, swim or yoga class to anyone else you have to go and sweat it, the same thing applies to your career!

• Greg Savage March 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm #

Good approach I feel Andrew, thanks, Regards Greg

3. Adrian March 21, 2017 at 10:26 pm #

Absolutely agree! I was incredibly comfortable in my first recruitment job and was lucky enough to get a lot of support during my 7 years there. It then dawned on me that I needed a change to learn more about industry to develop and grow as I realised that there was a heck of lot of things I didn’t know. I also realised that no one was going to sit there and teach me – it was down to me.

I read blogs, videos, bought books and started to mingle with other recruiters. Listening to pod casts on my cold, long morning London commute to watching boolean search videos at lunch time on my Nexus 7 at the local park near my office. I was writing boolean strings after Sunday roasts whilst practicing closing and negotiation techniques on my partner. I followed the key players in the industry (Greg included) and watched as many webinars as I could, where I could.

I became obsessed with learning which allowed me to get a role in house and great experience working at Google a few years ago.

A few years later I’m now in Australia, wife, 2 kids, mortgage we can afford and in role I love working with great people. None of this would have happened unless I drove my own development.

They say you need 20 hours to get good at something, 10,000 to be a world expert. I put in somewhere in between on the lower end but life would be different if I put in 0.

Outsourced support and training is great, but only if you’re prepared to train yourself.

Adrian

4. Kim Parker Adcock March 23, 2017 at 1:33 pm #

100% Greg! That’s the bit we can’t train/’ support’/manage. Winners have it.

5. Chris Sale March 23, 2017 at 7:50 pm #

Of course Greg you are right BUT with a slight caveat: a good employer will often recognise your talents better than you and will promote you and offer you opportunities that you wouldn’t have thought of or thought possible. It’s not altruism: it’s in their interests for a variety of reasons.

The dark side of managing your career is job hopping because people think they want a better job with more money and they want it now.