250 Czech Recruiters show some love!

7 crazy things you only see at a Czech recruiter conference

I have attended Recruitment conferences all over the world, in countries and cities too numerous to list. It’s been privilege, and every one of them has been a fun learning experience.

But sometimes… you see something different!

Recently I was the keynote speaker at the excellent Evolve Summit in Brno, Czech Republic. This was a first for me, speaking to 250 Central and Eastern European recruiters, so I was pleased to be involved, and happy to see my host Michal Toman, who with his team from Flow-R put on an exceptional event.

250 Czech Recruiters show some love!

250 Czech Recruiters show some love!

Every conference has its nuances, but most follow a fairly predictable pattern. This conference had all the usual buzz, social and and learning-wise, but a few things happened that were unusual to say the least. Let’s review the recruiter conference, Czech-style!

1. The conference venue served alcohol to attendees. That is not a surprise you say, we always have a drink after our conferences, right? Yes, except here the bar was open all day, was IN the conference room, and many attendees had their first tipple at morning tea, and continued all day!

2. Two babies attended the event, in both cases cared for by their recruiter-mothers. I have never seen that before. They were gorgeous and well behaved by the way, and I for one thought that was practical and excellent solution.

3. One recruiter brought her dog, in a handbag. It kept on eyeing me while I was speaking. Never spoken to a dog-audience before either.

4. Within in 20 minutes of the last speaker wrapping up, the stage had been re-set and a full on rock band was blasting out the tunes, with two raunchy female lead singers pumping out what I was told were classic Czech rock standards. The party only sped up from there.

5. The organisers had prepared for my arrival with large printed signs, which read I Love Greg Savage, which were enthusiastically waved by attendees throughout the day. This does not happen to me very often (ie.. never!). I sent a picture of this to my wife. Her response is not printable here.

6. My speech was in English. Most of the other speeches were in Czech. Every attendee had a headset and instant simultaneous translations of every speaker was available. English to Czech. Czech to English. I could listen to the entire day.

7. Half way through my second presentation, at about 2.30 pm, the considerate organising team brought me a cold beer which I proceeded to consume while presenting my ideas on candidate acquisition. No complaints from me. Just never happened before.

Beer and recruitment? Perfect match!

Beer and recruitment? Perfect match!

The hospitality of everyone I met in the Czech Republic was exceptional. The organisation for the event was faultless, and the speakers enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Thank you Michal. Thank you CR!

Next week I will summarise the contents of my speech. Look out for that please.

Owner Manager Masterclass. ‘Powering Profits in Disrupted times’. With Chris Savage. Six cities, Australia and New Zealand.  Book NOW for Early Bird Discounts.

, , ,

17 Responses to 7 crazy things you only see at a Czech recruiter conference

1. Chris Heswall November 4, 2015 at 10:31 am #

Priceless Greg! Sound like fun people work hard/play hard culture. I’m sure you thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Next time take doggie treats and baby rusks in your pocket and you’ll win over the entire audience!

2. Kip November 4, 2015 at 10:58 am #

I remember my first time in the Czech Republic….I went down for breakfast at a café and people were having a beer with their breakfast!

3. Jane T November 4, 2015 at 1:28 pm #

You’ve found your new spiritual home, Greg. We’re far too straight laced in NZ. This sounds like fun!

• Greg Savage November 4, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

I did find it easy to fit in Jane..thats true..:)

4. Joost Kreulen November 4, 2015 at 1:29 pm #

Great story Greg!

5. Mick Stevens November 4, 2015 at 2:54 pm #

This is brilliant, maybe the organisers have it right and this relaxed setting is the best way to engage people. I’ve been to quite a few faceless, dreary recruitment fairs and seminars with fake atmosphere, fake smiles and cheesy sales pitch everywhere….something to think about. Thanks Greg, enjoy your blogs.

6. Wesley Madziva November 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

Looks like you were presenting at what we call a “Braai” down here aka Barbecue / Barbeque :)…

7. Di Pass November 4, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

Sounds like a great ‘Czech List’ for the next RCSA conference:
    beer, babies, dogs, headphones, dancing, speaker love and FUN! Czech!

8. Terry Edwards November 4, 2015 at 4:47 pm #

Nice one Greg….

• Martina November 4, 2015 at 7:22 pm #

Really made me smile the whole way through. The Czech have the right idea!

9. Monika November 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm #

Greg, actually there were two dogs. One in a handbag and second one was much more bigger, but still puppy 🙂

• Greg Savage November 4, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

I stand corrected. Even better..two dogs!

10. Carolyn Frodsham November 4, 2015 at 11:24 pm #

The next visit to the UK should definitely follow this brief
    Recruitment 80’s style I miss those days before all the PC madness

11. Alan Allebone November 5, 2015 at 7:45 am #

I can never imagine in the UK something like this Greg, in fact anywhere else in the world!

But it just shows the genuine humanity of people in such countries.

They certainly start them young as recruiters!

Are they successful in recruiting?

A little give and take on all sides helps.

Thanks again for the insight Greg.

12. Alex Dungate November 9, 2015 at 10:49 pm #

Ah the joys of cultural variances.

I found your second point particularly interesting and was wondering if it was the mothers or babies you were referring to in the following – just a little unsure!!??? : )

Keep up the great work – you are an inspiration foo the highest quality standards in talent acquisitiuon. Thank you.

13. Gayleen Toll November 25, 2015 at 9:51 am #

Thank you for sharing I have tears! Bringing the poodles next year.