The best business advice I could EVER give you

The best business advice I could EVER give you

This is a short blog. Which is ironic because it took me 30 years to learn what I share here.

Read carefully please. This will save you a world of pain.

• When things are going well, when then results are good, when it seem you can do no wrong, be sure you don’t get taken in by your own bullshit. We are never as good as we think we are. And be careful too, not to surround yourself with yes-men, sycophants, and brown-nosing acolytes, who feed you what you want to hear and seduce you into complacency and arrogance. For it’s just at that time that the biggest fall is imminent. Self-satisfaction is what stifles growth, innovation, risk, and hunger.
  • Equally, when everything goes wrong, every decision seems to backfire, and your dreams are crumbling, do not believe you have no talent just because at that moment others around you are not able to recognise it. Before you write yourself off as a failure, as wrong, as mediocre, as ‘not up to it’, just check you have not surrounded yourself with deadbeats, dingbats, drop-kicks, and doomsayers, who bring you down and stunt your dreams.

That’s it.

Maintain perspective.

On yourself.

Check out the latest ‘Savage Truth’ speaking events here

******************************************************************************************************************

, , ,

17 Responses to The best business advice I could EVER give you

1. Walt Hawtin February 25, 2014 at 10:32 am #

Never a truer set of words spoken: When broadly reflecting on your abilities, you are never as consistently good as when you are at your best, and never as bad as when you are at your worst.

If you must judge, apply your self-assessment to how you dealt with your big personal and professional challenges.

And a corollary to Greg’s comment above: If you are not making mistakes, you are not doing anywhere near enough. Just don’t make the same mistakes twice.

2. Neil February 25, 2014 at 11:04 am #

Very interesting and very true, and I have seen both in my business.

3. Laurie WIlliams February 25, 2014 at 11:23 am #

Great post Greg, and all very true!

4. Paulette Steele February 25, 2014 at 11:28 am #

The least said is often the best and although short, it made a lot of sense. Thanks for getting us into the right perspective, Greg

5. Alan Allebone February 25, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Never judge a book by it’s cover!

6. Peter Udall February 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm #

Long-term success = Consistent effort with (sometimes) inconsistent results.

7. Balasubramaniam February 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

A fact…put across the right way.

8. Clarke February 25, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

You have just described how I feel pretty much every day from one hour to the next 😉 bit of a roller coaster this job!

9. john February 25, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

Clarke – you should remember what I was told about this job – one day the Statue the next day the Pigeon.

10. Jane Temel February 25, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

So true! We all like to bask in the glow of success but we all have times when it feels like everything is going wrong. In those times it is very easy to put our failure down to external factors but I think its important to reflect what I could have done differently to get a different result – there’s always something. But also not to be too hard on ourselves – thanks for reminding us of that Greg.

11. Nick Thant February 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

As always, great stuff from you. I feel they were the two extreme points in life and most of the time, we live in between the two. It’s always doing what counts, whatever it takes and whoever gets the credit which will create joy and help us maintain positive and live on a happier side of life.

12. Kiran Bhat February 27, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks Greg … these same very thoughts … have kept me alive and is still driving me forward …

13. Daniel Cheah March 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

Thanks, Greg. Great wisdom, direct and to-the-point. Change is the only constant in life. I like to quote my favourite Bruce Lee line..”“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

14. Jules Halliday April 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Absolutely! I couldn’t agree more!

15. Andy April 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

Thanks. Exactly what I need to keep in mind now.

16. Sreeeram Viswanath April 19, 2014 at 3:49 am #

Well said Sir, just resembling my present situation. It was indeed a Morale Booster in a crisis

17. Sal August 13, 2015 at 6:50 pm #

…….. I was once a victim of my own success. Well written…..