My wrap up of the key insights from the RCSA Conference 2012

I was at the RCSA Conference in Fiji last week. As a speaker, but also as an attendee. And I took some notes, trying to capture the highlights. I share these with you today. Enjoy.

(I, of course, also said dozens of fascinating things, but today, I shine the light elsewhere). 🙂

Mike Walsh

• Think New. Think Big. Think Quick.
  • The key to understanding the future is to understand your own children. Kids born after 2007, when the iPhone was launched, have never been off the internet.
  • The new generation seldom make decisions in advance because they make decisions in real-time. And they will make work and job search decisions in same way.
  • The next generation will have a radically different approach to work, shaped by a childhood of disruptive technologies.
  • ‘Knowing things’ is not important anymore. Having a network that gives you answers is more important.
  • Disruptive technology always targets the middleman (like recruiters!).
  • The new science of marketing – compelling digital content – attracts customers.
  • Hire more DARCs–Digital natives, Analytical, Reach (networks), Content (able to write).
  • Don’t let the future surprise you.

Bridget  Beattie

• Classic systematic networking is the most effective way to find a job.

Paul Slezak

• The recruiter of the future needs to be less pompous. More human.

David Arkless

• The economy in Europe is rubbish. In Asia it is anemic. In the USA, flatulent.
  • We are moving out of the technology age – into the human age.
  • We need to identify what are humans good at, compared to machines.
  • I don’t care how good your technology or your systems are. Without the right people, you won’t be successful.
  • Indonesia is only HALF as corrupt as it used to be… and boy is it corrupt!

Rachel Botsman

• Reputation on the Internet will become more powerful than your credit history in the 21st century.
  • The resume will be dead in 5 – 10 years. Reputation will be key.

Chris Savage

• Take action. Done is better than perfect.
  • People will not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
  • Feedback is the food of champions.
  • We all have special talent. Always be leveraging yours.
  • The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Nicole Underwood

• To implement workplace flexibility, as a leader you need to lead by example.

Avril Henry

• If you don’t get the people stuff right. You won’t have a workforce.
  • Baby Boomers left home at 17. Mainly so they could have sex.
  • By 2020 40% of the Australian workforce will be made up of Gen Y’s.

There were other great speakers, but I did not attend all sessions and may have missed a bit after the Bollywood dinner party too…

Come on guys and gals. Up to 10,000 of you read this blog every week, and many thousands subscribe, but The Savage Truth Facebook page has a paltry 1,400 ‘Likes’. Jump on board The Savage Truth Facebook Page for real time comments, insights, rants and jokes about the wonderful world of recruitment.

******************************************************************************************************

18 Responses to My wrap up of the key insights from the RCSA Conference 2012

1. Neil Bolton September 5, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Great summary, Greg!

2. Nicholas Beames September 5, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I found the RCSA conference in Fiji very inspiring.

And the notes you left out above Greg were about your presentation.

I thought you made some very insightful points about LinkedIn, Seek, and ‘owing’ your social media brand.

3. Maarit Malinen September 5, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Thank you for sharing!
    I think I speak for most of us who didn’t make it, when I say “I wish I could have been there in Fiji too!!”

4. Brad September 5, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Hi Greg, this is great… snapshots from the best but lacks your usual flare in the content. So what are “your” thoughts or points to add to the above (yes I know this blog was about the others) but keen to know your thoughts… or is it a case of “watch this space”?

Cheers Brad.

5. Alan Allebone September 5, 2012 at 10:15 am #

We should listen to what is being said by the client and candidate. They may not always be right , BUT today’s candidate is tomorrow’s client!

What an interesting subject and some very very good comments. Well done to all of you who have contributed!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

6. Navid September 5, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Good notes Greg and thanks for sharing. I think “Take action. Done is better than perfect” should be every recruiters motto.

I disagree that resumes will no longer be used in 5 to 10 years. I believe they may evolve into a different format (ie: linked in) but I don’t see resumes disappear any time soon.

7. Tony Hall September 5, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Thanks for your notes Greg and great to catch up. Your presentation was excellent as usual. Overall it seems the digital age is here and we all need to embrace it whether we like it or not. I also agree with your statement that old school face to face relationship building is still vitally important in recruitment. I am not yet sure how to build a great relationship over Twitter – it confuses me but I am still learning…

8. Jane Devereux September 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Great overview thanks Greg I returned inspired but concerned for what the future of what recruitment will look like as there are so many factors to consider in this market. I will remain however, eternally optimistic for all us die hard recuiters!!

9. Alan Allebone September 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

As usual we will not be disappointed whatever you write Greg!

KR
    Alan

10. Jadey September 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Great summary thanks Greg,

11. mason September 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

I’m still trying to get the imagery out of my head of Chris Savage in the moshpit.
    And the wee man pulling leads out of a certain country’s web connections ….technology is only as good as the person tugging on those “tank-like levers”.
    Conference for me reminded me of the effectiveness of a great recruiter – and that technology will not replace good recruiters but a good recruiter who leverages technology will replace the ones who don’t.

12. John B September 5, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

About Paul Slezak comment – Successful recruiters of the past has always been less pompous too…

13. paul September 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I’ve missed reading your insights, and realised that I should never be too busy so as not to catch up.
    Wise words from many, concisely put.
    Great stuff

14. Barry Thomas September 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

The speaker I was most looking forward to was Rachel Botsman, and she certainly didn’t disappoint, but I have to admit it was Greg’s presentation I’ve been speaking about most to others this week. Perhaps the best use of social media I’ve seen anywhere – and I say that as a business coach who specialises in social media!

• Greg Savage September 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Thank you Barry..I appreciate that..

15. Heath@laborslist October 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I fully believe in Racheal Botsman’s subject!!
    ” The resume will be dead in 5-10 years- reputation will be the key”

I’ve been a recruiter for 10 years with two personal companies and resume searches is the last place I want to look, but I do after referral searching!

Heath

1. The new recruiter and why your resume still sucks | Cory International - September 5, 2012

[…] http://gregsavage.com.au/2012/09/05/what-the-smartest-people-in-recruitment-told-me-last-week…/ […]